William P. Luther
Mediator / Arbitrator
|Location:||Eden Prairie, MN|
Bill Luther was most recently a member of the United States House of Representatives representing the Minnesota 6th District from January 1995 to January 2003. Congressman Luther was a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, the Science Committee and the International Relations Committee. He also served as a founding member of the Bipartisan Reform Team and the Internet Caucus and as a member of the Exploited Children’s Caucus.
Before serving in Congress, Bill was the founder and senior partner of Luther, Ballenthin, and Carruthers Law Firm and specialized in business litigation successfully trying numerous lawsuits. His cases ranged from contract claims to franchise disputes to complex securities litigation. He also has experience in appellate work in both federal and state courts.
From 1977 until 1994 he served in the Minnesota State Senate where he was chosen as Assistant Majority Leader from 1983-1994. Prior to his service in the State Senate he was a member of the Minnesota House of Representatives from 1975 until 1976.
- Minnesota, 1970
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- J.D. cum laude – 1970
- Law Review: Minnesota Law Review, Note and Comment Editor
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- B.S. – 1967
- Honors: High Distinction
- Major: Electrical Engineering
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Minnesota House of Representatives, Member, 1975 – 1976
- Minnesota Senate, Member, Assistant Majority Leader Since 1982, 1977 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Minnesota State Senate, Assistant Majority Leader, 1983 – 1994
Pro Bono Activities
- Member, Minnesota State Senate, 1975 – 1976
- Alpha Delta Phi