Gregg E. Johnson
Mediator / Arbitrator
|Location:||Eden Prairie, MN|
Meet Gregg E. Johnson
- What’s your experience as a mediator?
- What’s the most rewarding aspect of your work as a neutral?
- What is your philosophy as a mediator?
- How should one go about hiring a mediator – What traits and experience should one look for?
- Are you on any boards or have you had any leadership positions in the Bar or your community?
Judge Johnson was appointed to serve as District Court Judge for the Second Judicial District in Ramsey County in 1992 by Governor Carlson. During his 22 years as a District Court Judge, Judge Johnson served as Chief Judge and Assistant Chief Judge of the Second Judicial District from 2002-2008. He also served as President of the Minnesota District Judges Association and as a member of the Conference of Chief Judges and the Judicial Council.
Judge Johnson joined Gilbert Mediation in 2014 after retiring from his position as District Court Judge and is involved as a special master, arbitrator and complex civil law mediator, including construction, employment, business and real estate disputes.
- District Court Judge – Second Judicial District, 1992-2014
- Ramsey County Public Defender, 1984-92
- Metropolitan Council, 1974-84
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D., 1983
- Mankato State University Master Program, 1975-77
- University of Minnesota, B.A. Economics, 1972
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- Minnesota District Judges Association
- Adjunct Faculty, William Mitchell College of Law, 2007-Present
Advisory or Policy-Making Positions
- Chief Judge, Second Judicial District, 2004-08
- Assistant Chief Judge, Second Judicial District, 2002-04
- President, Minnesota District Judges Association
- Minnesota Judicial Council, 2005-08
- Chair of Judicial Council Finance Committee, 2005-08
- Judicial Council Access & Service Delivery Committee, 2008
- Minnesota Juvenile Justice and Mental Health Initiative Task Force, 2007-08
- Minnesota Conference of Chief Judges, 2002-05
- Supreme Court Committee on Open Chips Hearings
- Supreme Court Committee on Child Support Guidelines
- Johnson Enjoys the Challenge of Serving as Ramsey Chief Judge, Minnesota Lawyer, Sept. 13, 2004
- Family Judge Sees His Role as a Problem-Solver, Minnesota Lawyer, June 28, 1999
Awards and Honors
- Lao Family of Minnesota Appreciation Award, 2006
- National Alliance on Mental Illness Criminal Justice Award, 2006
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Award, 2004